1. She nearly died in an elevator. I heard this when I was in Korea. One day a girl was walking home late night after work or something. It was dark and around midnight. She lived an apartment where they had elevator. She got in the elevator and when the door was about to close, a strange man with very red hoodie entered the elevator. He apologized for scaring her and asked which floor she is heading to, without making an eye contact. She told him out of fear and the man casually press the button and the one below. As they were on the way, he asked her for her cell phone if he could use it but she declined out of suspicious and isolated herself in the corner. After seconds of silence, elevator arrived to the floor below the one girl was heading to and the door opened. The guy slowly walked out of the door and turned around facing toward the elevator and the girl, and just stared at her without any movement. Slowly the door started to close and from the gap, she could see him turning around heading for up-stairs… pulling a knife out of his pocket.
2. Something was wearing her skin. ‘Daddy, I had a bad dream.’
You blink your eyes and pull up on your elbows. Your clock glows red in the darkness—it’s 3:23.
‘Do you want to climb into bed and tell me about it?’
The oddness of the situation wakes you up more fully. You can barely make out your daughter’s pale form in the darkness of your room.
‘Why not sweetie?’
‘Because in my dream, when I told you about the dream, the thing wearing Mommy’s skin sat up.’ For a moment, you feel paralyzed; you can’t take your eyes off of your daughter. The covers behind you begin to shift.
3. My dead grandfather stopped by the house. Two days after my grandfather died, the neighborhood security guard knocks on our door on a Sunday morning. He told us: ‘An old man came to your house earlier, knocked on your door for half an hour, and finally left. When I asked him what he wanted, he told me he needed to say goodbye to someone he had never had the chance to meet.’ We were all stunned, had no idea who this old man was, or who was he looking for. When the guard came in, he shouted: ‘That’s the old man!!’ pointing at a picture of my grandfather. My entire family froze for a minute. I’m not 100% sure if the guard was telling the truth, but I almost like believing that my grandad wanted to say goodbye to my newborn sister, before resting in peace.
4. Who was turning the doorknob? When my family hit hard times we had to move into a small house where our uncle had recently shot and killed himself. He had done this because of his depression after his wife had overdosed on pills, and died the summer before. It all happened so quickly that when we moved in there was still a bit of blood in one of the rooms. But on the third or fourth night of living there, my sister and I, who were sharing a room in the tiny house, were awake in our room playing video games at around 1-2 in the morning, when someone knocks at our door. We didn’t think anything of it and shouted for whoever was outside our door to come in. No answer. Another knock. We stop and stare at the door and another knock comes, the doorknob does a full rotation and snaps back as if someone turned it and let go very quickly. I get up and open the door expecting to see one of my other sisters or my mother, the only other people in the house. I opened the door and stared into an empty hall way. I walk down the hall and peek into the other bedroom, my two younger sisters and my mother are both fast asleep.
5. There was an eerie message on our television. I have a really good one that is actually true; it happened to me. This could have been a dream, but I testify to this day that what I saw was a ghost. So here I am, a young buy who awoke in the middle of the night. I am currently sharing a bunk bed with my brother, and I am on the top bunk. I look out into my living room and notice everything is dark, however there is a person in an evening gown dusting my fireplace mantle. The woman was slender, which threw me off guard because my mom is obese. I yelled out ‘mom?’ To the person dusting the counter, and the person turned around. It was not my mom, but some older woman. Suddenly, she shrieks and her face becomes severely deformed. It was like that shit you see in horror movies, like ridiculously scary especially for a young kid I blink my eyes and she was gone. I somehow went back to bed, and the next morning I went to my living room and noticed that even though the tv was off, there was something ‘written’ on the screen. It said: ‘Do not be afraid.’ The text slowly faded, and no one else saw it. As a young boy, this was, and still is, extremely terrifying to me.
6. Playing hide and seek with Alli. I still have fresh memories of this.
When I was very young, about three or four, I remember having a friend named Alli.
Alli lived with me and I would play hide and seek with her in the back yard. Alli was a year older than me. Alli loved my mom but wouldn’t stay long enough to meet her.
My mom didn’t believe I had a friend named Alli, I kept telling her, and my mom first got a very white face and told me stop, and Alli isn’t real.
Well one night Alli told me she had to leave, so she did. Never heard from her again.
Fast forward to when I was 16, and mom told me that before I was born I had a sister named Alli, and she had passed away due to complications (idr what the problem was, something about her lungs I think).
My mom tells me that it was probably all a coincidence since a divorce was going on during that time and I wanted a friend.
But I still remember everything about Alli, and I refuse to believe it was all pretend.
7. The man that comes and talks to us at night until we fall asleep. I have four little cousins in who never got to meet my grandfather—he passed before they were born. One morning, they ran downstairs for breakfast as they usually do. As my uncle was getting their food ready, one pointed to the fridge and said ‘that’s him!’ My uncle, not thinking much of it, said ‘who?’ and looked over. They were pointing at a picture of my grandfather that they never got to meet. My cousin responded ‘The man that comes and talks to us at night until we fall asleep sometimes!’
8. ‘Please tell the little girl to get out of my room.’ I worked night shift as a palliative care RN in a very big, very old nursing home. It’s important to note that this home and the religious organization that ran it are currently part of the royal inquiry into the institutional response to the abuse of children. The nurses that had worked there for 30+ years used to delight in telling younger staff that when it was used as a children’s home they used to bury children that died in the rose garden. This old rose garden was apparently under a newer wing of the home.
At least four times in my two years of working there we would have elderly, close to death patients wake, totally lucid in the dead of night and ask us ‘please tell the little girl to get out of my room’ or ‘please get that little boy out of the corner, he’s looking at me.’
Being in this huge, dark, old, creepy building that had a very awful history and then that happening? Fuck that, I would never do my rounds alone when it happened, it was terrifying! It made my blood run cold and I’d get a friend to work with me the rest of the night.
I was not the only person this happened to, either. It was a regular occurrence.
9. Ghost writing appeared on the wall in paint. When I was in high school, my family had to move from central Texas back to West Texas for my dad’s job. We were under a lot of stress and other family issues at the time as well, but that is besides the point. My sister and my mom were painting the upstairs walls as we got the house to get ready. My mom was on the wall to the far right, there was a blank wall in the middle, and my sister was on the far left. I was downstairs packing up things into boxes. Anyway, suddenly, my sister comes downstairs (she is older than me) looking scared out of her mind. She asks me to come upstairs. On the wall in between them, for no apparent reason, this ‘writing’ appeared. Looking closely enough, you can see it was not written by accident, but rather by broad strokes made by a human hand. Problem is, the handprint is too big for any of us three to make it. The longer we stayed in the room, the more freaked out we got as we realized that nobody was playing a prank on anyone else. I still have no explanation to this day of what it means.
10. This Number Has Been Disconnected. A few years ago my brother would get a call on his cellphone around 2:00 – 3:00 A.M. every night. He would answer and it was this hellish sounding noise. Like static mixed with screams. He changed his cell number after a month of this and it stopped.
Then after a week or so it began again. The exact same noise. Exact same time. Finally one day he decided to backdial the call. It was an old man that had no clue what he was talking about. Still the calls persisted. If he didn’t answer, it would call a few more times. No messages were left.
He decided to say screw it. Ended his contract with his phone company, switched to a new one, and then got another new number. You guessed it, the screaming static calls continued after a short delay. By this time he was terrified every night. Unsure why this was happening. He backdialed the number again and got a different person.
Around this time he lost his job and his phone. The calls stopped of course. His phone was disconnected now. So one day my mom asks me to listen to this weird message she got on our home phone.
It was the static screaming. We showed my brother and he was freaking out. He backdialed the number again and it said the number was disconnected this time.
Never heard from it again after that.
11. Sis Gets Her Own Phone. When my sister was young, my parents got her a personal “phone” – a landline so that she could feel ‘special’ (yes, she was extra spoiled). It was a pre-paid landline though, so basically no one could call in or out if she ran out of credit, much like a mobile phone. Anyway, every night at 3am her phone would ring. She said there was a man on the other line, and she would get really scared and come running to my room. It escalated to the point that I asked her to please disconnect her phone before going to sleep because it was becoming extremely annoying to get woken up every single night by this ‘person’ that called her. To be honest, since she was about 10, I thought it was just these stupid scary movies she liked to watch. Eventually she just got rid of the phone.
In any case, I recall this stopping. A few years ago we were talking about it, and she confessed that her phone continued to ring even after she disconnected it, which is why she said she didn’t want it anymore. She has no recollection of what the person on the other end was saying, or maybe she’s just completely blocked it out.
12. Checking The Meter. My former teacher was home alone when she was a child some at some point in the 70’s probably. A man knocked on her door and she opened her main door but kept her screen door locked. He said he was from the gas company and wanted to talk to her parents. She told him they weren’t home and he, without missing a beat, tried to start forcing his way into the home. When he found the screen door to be locked he pulled out a fucking box cutter and started to cut through the screen. My teacher ran to hide in a clothes hamper in her parent’s closet. She said she sat there for about 10 minutes before the police arrived. Thank god a neighbor saw everything and called the police or she probably would be dead. Also to put the cherry on the freaking creepy sundae, they found the intruder hiding in the attic.
13. Not alone in bed. A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I were sleeping together, when I woke up to her saying “What are you doing?” She sometimes talks in her sleep, but this sounded so coherent and urgent that it jolted me awake and I asked what she was talking about. She woke up and said she thought she saw someone at the end of the bed. Thinking it was just a dream, or semi-awake hallucination, we thought nothing of it and went back to sleep. About an hour later, I woke up and saw someone standing the bed, with the sheets wrapped up and twisted to their neck. I didn’t know what do but the first thing that came out of my mouth was “What are you doing?” My girlfriend then woke me up. I had been dreaming the exact same thing that she did, and said the exact same thing.
14. A Man Watching Through The Window. When I was growing up one of my best friends told me a about a very creepy situation involving him, his younger brother, and a man in the window. When my friend and his little brother were younger they shared a bedroom. They’re some years apart, but his younger brother was born with a multitude of different health issues, including multiple sclerosis, and he’s confined to a wheelchair and cannot care for himself. So, to keep an eye on him overnight when his parents couldn’t, they shared a bedroom.
One night my friend randomly woke up for no in particular reason and happened to glance over at his younger brother, but noticed something very startling; a strange silhouette of a man wearing a top hat looking in through the window behind his younger brother’s crib. The first thing my friend did was jump up and turn the light on, then ran into his parents room to tell them what he saw. When his parents came back into their room to investigate, his younger brother was having a seizure in his crib.
A few of his family members say it was his younger brother’s guardian angel standing in the window that night; my friend believes it was death.
It’s all still pretty unsettling to me.
15. He saw baby sized handprints on the windows. My friend and a few of his college buddies were going on a ghost hunt, and had heard about some graveyard where children murdered by their mother had been buried. The graveyard was located off the main road, so my friend parked his car on the side of the road, and the group (5-7 people I believe) got out and followed the small path through the woods for a couple minutes to get to the graveyard.
Once there, nothing exciting happened for the first 10 minutes or so, and they had tried everything the website or wherever they heard the story told them to do, with nothing resulting. They got bored, and being typical, inebriated college kids, started taunting the supposed ghost of the mother. This continued for a few minutes before they tired, and decided to go back to the car as one of the girls had to go to the bathroom.
Once they got back to the car, my friend, the sober driver, tried opening the handle without unlocking the car because he hadn’t locked it in the first place, but found it locked. He attributed this to bad memory at the time. The group drove home, laughing and talking like normal. After he had dropped all the others off at their homes, he went back to his own house. He got in at the same time as one of his roommates, who stopped and waited for him to pull in. The roommate had his phone out, and shined the light in the window when his friend pulled in as a joke. What he saw was tiny, baby sized handprints all over the windows. As soon as my friend got out, he went into the house without saying a word to the roommate. The roommate, confused, went back to the car and tried to rub one of the handprints.
To this day, my friend will not speak of his drive home after he dropped off his other friends, and has since sold the car without ever driving it again.
16. My friend called me after she passed away. True story. My best friend died of cancer back in 2002 – we were incredibly close in every way and we spent the majority of our free time together. Almost a year after she died, I was in my apartment sleeping and my phone rang around 3 am – I had one of those sony erricson t610. I was very groggy and picked up the phone from my nightstand and looked at it – I saw it was my friend’s number. I immediately became alert and awake and answered the phone very curious. I said hello a few times but all I could hear was very loud static for about 30 seconds. Eventually the call ended. At this point I was freaking out and called the number back only to get an automated recoding that this number was out of service. I then called her mother’s house to see if possibly her older sister may have had my friends old phone and might have called me by accident, but there was no answer at my friends mother’s home. Come to find out the remaining family was away in Miami. After they came home a few days later, I took the phone to them and showed them the call log and they were in disbelief. They went to my friend’s room and got the phone out of the drawer where it had been sitting for months.. battery stone cold dead.
17. A ghost haunted the hotel room. A man goes to a bed and breakfast. While checking in, the owner tells him that the room next to his is undergoing some repairs, so don’t open the door or anything. The man goes to his room, drops off his things, but then is bored. He pokes around the house a little, and with nothing else to do, decides to see the room that needs repairing. He tries the door and it’s locked. He wonders why the owner would even bother warning him about this room since it’s locked anyway. Whatever. He peeks through the keyhole, and the room beyond isn’t actually being repaired. It’s completely empty, except for a figure in the far side if the room sitting in a chair facing the wall. The man stands up again, creeped out. Just to make sure he wasn’t imagining things, he bends down and looks through the keyhole again. This time he doesn’t see the figure, or the room at all, just the color red, like someone was blocking the keyhole with construction paper.
Weirded out, the man goes to bed. When he’s at breakfast with the owner the next morning, the man asks him casually about the repairs in the next room. The owner sighs and says, ‘Truthfully? I don’t rent out that room because so many people have told me it’s haunted by a ghost with red eyes.’
18. Twisted portraits hung on the walls. There was a hunter in the woods, who, after a long day hunting, was in the middle of an immense forest. It was getting dark, and having lost his bearings, he decided to head in one direction until he was clear of the increasingly oppressive foliage. After a what seemed like hours, he came across a cabin in a small clearing. Realizing how dark it had grown, he decided to see if he could stay there for the night. He approached, and found the door ajar. Nobody was inside. The hunter flopped down on the single bed, deciding to explain himself to the owner in the morning. As he looked around, he was surprised to see the walls adorned by many portraits, all painted in incredible detail. Without exception, they appeared to be staring down at him, their features twisted into looks of hatred. Staring back, he grew increasingly uncomfortable. Making a concerted effort to ignore the many hateful faces, he turned to face the wall, and exhausted, he fell into a restless sleep.Face down in an unfamiliar bed, he turned blinking in unexpected sunlight. Looking up, he discovered that the cabin had no portraits, only windows.
19. He saw a shadowy figure he couldn’t explain. My house was built in 1904. It is a single family home, wood frame setting on a concrete block foundation. I have been living here for about 12 years. Of all the weird things that my siblings and me have seen or heard in this house this one event is my favorite. This happened to my brother. About ten years ago my brother and his best friends had started a garage band playing mostly ‘Spanish rock,’ alternative music but in Spanish. His friends could only get together on Sunday afternoons. They would practice into the early evening, they would usually call it quits by 8 pm, this was the time I usually showed up and went to bed, cause I worked the graveyard shift. This happened in late fall, so the days were getting shorter, they had just finished a long session when the decision to head to someone else house came about. My brother handed his car keys to his buddy so they could load up the equipment, every one had filed out of the basement, the tricky part was that they needed to walk all the way to the back of the basement, up the back stairs, through the kitchen doorway down the hall into the living room and out into the front porch. Everyone was outside sitting in my brothers truck waiting for him. My brother was walking up the back stairs when he remembered that he had left his pancakes in a to go container sitting on a speaker in the basement. He made the decision to go back. Now the basement is not clean, with full sight lines, there had been partitions made, and the boiler and main heating unit are right smack in the middle. So after my brother walks back, he is about to retrieve his food container, when out of the corner of his eye he sees it.
It is a shadowy figure, right at his peripheral vision, this feeling of dread and uneasiness washed over my brother. We had been taught that if you are in the presence of a spirit or ghost and you felt a bad vibe, to say quick prayer or to cuss at it. My brother chose the latter, he basically just told it, ‘Hey fuck you, I don’t have time for this shit.’
My brother started to walk to the back of the basement and briskly up the stairs, closing doors and turning off lights as he was walking out, the last light switch is on the opposite side of the front door… Luckily the door was open and the light from the street lamp was flooding the living room with its amber light. My brother said he felt something at his back, but at no point did he turn around, as he flicked the last switch the living room went dark, as the rest of the house. As he stepped out he pulled on the door closing it behind him, still holding his food container in one hand he jogged down the few porch steps, he walked towards the front gate…our house resides far from the main street, essentially having a large front yard but no rear garage. As he closed the gap between himself and his friend laden truck he kinda smiled and thought things over in his head, mad at himself for spooking out when there was no reason.
He climbed into the drivers side of the truck, putting on his seat belt and getting ready to pull out of the parking spot directly in front of the house, when one of his friends asked, ‘Hey wait what about your brother, isn’t he coming with us?’
My brother answered, ‘What do you mean? He went to work early tonight he is already gone, do you see his car anywhere?’
The next question they asked, ‘So then who was walking behind you when you were leaving the house?’
20. I saw an extraterrestrial creature. In my old house, I would be sitting on my computer, listening to music on my Ipod while playing WoW. Periodically, at random times. The screen would flicker and my Ipod’s volume would adjust either up or down. I never thought anything of this, until it continued to do so only in that house. Eventually I just said ‘whatever, if it likes the song it likes the song.’
However, inside this house I had constant issues. One of which, would be my sleeping in bed/living room depending on the night and waking up to a low grumbling sound… Feeling fear strike my heart and listening to the beat of my now panicked state… I would try and move, to wake up and see what is happening. I couldn’t. Not even my finger tips would move… Completely conscious and able to see silhouettes… I hear / see my cat hiss and I can feel myself being moved as light shines over my eyes and I fall asleep again. This particular case, I remember waking up and seeing a man standing on this 100 ft tree in my back yard. Real tall and slender this guy. I muster up as much strength as I can, raise my hand up and give this guy the finger. After which, I immediately fall back asleep with a ‘thud’. I hear my back door open (on the second floor) and my dogs start barking / whining from the down stairs… (I was 16 and 250 lbs, no one was moving me anywhere… realistically speaking of course). Anyways, to this day. I swear that thing was an ET. Because I saw it multiple times throughout my life. Once standing in the kitchen window, which was 8 ft off the ground. That particular night, and in the first house I ever lived. I used to see him in my bedroom window and he would talk to me. Scariest shit I have experience. Ended when I moved out of the last house. I am now 21.
21. I saw an old ghost in a wheelchair. During hurricane Gustav (in 08, I think), I evacuated to a church in Baton Rouge with a friend and his family.
At the same time, there was an entire nursing home’s worth of old people staying in the church. My friend, his family, and myself all shared one room together.
In this church, there was one bathroom that was large, similar to something that would be in an elementary school (a few stalls, a trough urinal, etc.).
One night during the storm, my friend and I made a trip to the bathroom. The lights had since gone out (middle of a hurricane and all). The church had a musty, eerie feel to it. Kind of like when you turn out the ac in a house for a few days. The area surrounding the church was also dead quiet, since there was no electricity in the area.
The bathroom was several halls over from our room. So, we grabbed our flashlights and set out. While walking down one long hall, we shined our flashlights ahead, and there, at the end of the hall, sat an old man in a wheelchair (in the middle of the night with no one around).
Now, this hall was incredibly long. So we could make him out, but we couldn’t really see all his facial features, etc. Once we grasped what we saw, we turned and looked at each other, semi-freaked out. Then, we shined our flashlights back to where he was, and there was nothing there. It was as if he vanished.
No signs, no sound…. nothing. Needless to say, we hauled ass back to the room.
22. I heard phantom footsteps running toward me. Okay. This happened to me when I was a junior in high school. It was December and it had just started snowing, that evening. My best friend and I were in debate and getting ready for our state qualifiers, that were the next day. We were writing our cases and as usual, at each others throats over the details of the cases. It was a stressful, tense evening. We finally finished our cases at about 3am. Then, we went to my room for the night.
Almost as soon as we get into my room, we hear what sounds like the water turning on in the other end of the house. No big deal, probably my parents, I think. Then, we hear the front door open. I told her, “I bet mom woke up and wanted some fresh air.” It made sense. I really thought thats what it was. Until we heard incredibly heavy foot steps in my living room, headed for my room. They were NOT anyone in my family’s foot steps. Then they stopped. My friend and I looked at each other and were both freaked out, just standing, frozen in my room. We walked closer to each other and the foot steps started again, but this time they were running toward us. We both flipped. We grabbed each others hands, out of fear, and my bedroom door flew open. We both looked at the door. Nobody was there. We ran to the bathroom that’s connected to my room. I closed/ locked the door and stood against it. When we finally got the balls to do it, we sprinted to my parents’ room, crying and hysterical. We obviously startled my parents awake. They said neither of them had gotten up. My dad grabbed his gun and looked outside. No tracks in the snow, anywhere around our house.
23. She had marks across her neck. My brother once lived in a flat in down town Mt. Clemens, MI. The Clem was known to be a hot spot for “baths” back in the depression era and was booming with activity. Nowadays it has some run-down parts, this is where my brother rented his flat. It was a giant old raggedy house which was now separated into multiple odd apartments. Anyways, long story short, he always admitted to odd experiences, cupboard doors opening up, things missing, but one peculiar oddity was that he was always missing boxers/underwear from his drawer. He admitted that he thought his house was haunted and that the ghost had a crush on him. Never anything violent or disturbing, just odd things.
Later on he starts dating his future ex-wife. She starts coming around and he notices that the oddities begin to increase. New oddities began to occur, his girlfriend would always find her shoes (which were left on a mat inside the apartment) outside the door on the patio in the morning. She’d always comment to my brother to stop putting her shoes outside, he had an idea of why but didn’t want to frighten her… besides, it wasn’t hurting anyone right?
Well, things started getting worse, he comes home from work and his girlfriend was staying there while he was gone, claims that the stove burner kept lighting itself, she’d walk into the kitchen and it would be lit, she’d turn it off and shortly later it’d be lit again. Then, one night my brother wakes up in the middle of the night and sees his girlfriend sitting at the end of the bed, not just sees but feels her near his feet, staring at him. He calls out for her to come back to bed, she doesn’t respond so he calls out louder telling her to come to bed and asking what’s wrong? His girlfriend then asks what he’s doing, he turns and she’s sleeping next to him, he turns back, no one is at the end of the bed. Now, he’s freaked out but doesn’t want to scare his girlfriend from coming over his place.
A few nights later, they’re both sleeping and he wakes up to his girlfriend screaming. He looks over and she’s sleeping but thrashing around holding onto her neck. He doesn’t see anything so he starts yelling and shaking her to wake her up, after a few shakes she wakes up crying and terrified. She starts telling my brother about how real her dream felt that a woman was strangling her telling her to get out, that she doesn’t belong there and to leave her man alone. Her neck had red marks on it, possibly from herself trying to ‘defend herself’ but they believed it to be from something else. My brother then comes clean with her, the decide to do some research and find out that the address that they live in was an old brothel back in the day that the rich bathers used to stay in. My brother lived in that house for a few more weeks before he could locate a new place, she never came back to stay the night though, and he never experienced anything aggressive while there. Still, kinda fucked up though. I know my brother and I can tell when he’s lying, this shit was legit and when she talked about it, you could see how shaken up she was.
24. She found creepy pictures on her own phone. The story of the kid who borrowed his moms phone to play with and ended up falling asleep in bed. Mom finds the kid sleeping, grabs her phone and looks at her phone pics to see a pic of this crazy half face close up and the kid sleeping in the background.
25. My dead grandfather played with my baby. My daughter was born with mild tracheomalacia (soft wind pipe). The only ‘trouble’ it ever caused was that she would make a whistling sound sometimes when she was breathing, especially when she was excited or upset. Fast forward to when she was about 4 months old and fast asleep in her crib one evening. Her older brother had the stomach flu that day and had been throwing up. We thought the baby hadn’t caught it. But, a little while after we put her to bed, we suddenly heard her softly sputtering on the monitor, then silence for a few seconds, then a HUGE loud wail, which made both my husband and I run even faster to her room. By the time we got to her, she had fallen earily quiet again. We saw she was gasping for air, choking, unable to clear the vomit from her throat or get a clean breath. Even after we picked her up and cleared her mouth, she continued to gasp. She turned blue, then grey as I drove with her quickly to the ER. She had partially recovered by the time we got there. They gave her o2, chest xray, then a clean bill and we left.
Fast forward about two hours later when I’m back in my bedroom with her sleeping upright in a baby seat next to me on the bed. My husband and I talked briefly about what would have happened had the baby not cried out so loudly. Would we have reacted so quickly? Would she have recovered?
I’m in and out of sleep myself because I kept checking her. One of the times, just before I had fully awoken, I looked out in the hallway and saw my grandfather, who had passed away a few years prior. When he was alive, he was not the most involved grand dad. But, when he met my husband (my boyfriend at the time) they had an instant connection. When he passed away, his last coherent words were, “I’m not going to make it to altruitis and Mr altruitis’s wedding, am I…” He loved my husband dearly.
Anyway, I see him out in the hall this night. He is just standing there in khakis and a polo with his hands in his pockets. In my dream state, I see all my children, except the baby, pulling at his arms and playing with him. He has a simple smile on his face, he looks over toward the baby’s room and back at me and says, ‘I’m sorry I made her cry, but I’m glad she’s okay.’
26. The television turned off when he entered the room. My friend told me a story his Dad told him.
Every day he would come home from school and he would be the first one there for at least an hour or 2. One day he walked in the front door and the TV was on and instantly turned off. He stood in the doorway for a second, turned around and walked away. He didn’t go back into the house until his parents came home.
27. I heard whispering all throughout the house. This is a story I do not often tell. I promise, sincerely, that this has scarred me for life and although I have looked into psychological explanations for what I heard and natural explanations for what occurred, they remain unsatisfactory.
When I was a child, I was scared of the dark. I swore to my mother I heard voices in it. They were not evil, but they were not familiar and so they scared me. It was not uncommon in the middle of the night for me to wake up and hear ‘whispers’ as I would call them when asking my mom. She figured they were just ‘bumps in the night’ and typical kids nightmare material. I tried often to explain to her that it was more than that, that they sounded different from one another the way people’s voices do.
On some nights I would get so scared from these ‘whispers’ that I would sleep in my mom’s bed with her. It was an added bonus that the bathroom was directly outside of her bedroom door for my late-night tinkles.
I should add at this point that when walking out into the hall to go to the bathroom, you looked directly down the stairs that would lead you into my living room on the first floor (as my mom’s bedroom was on the second floor).
On one such night, around Christmas, I awoke and felt the need to relieve myself. I walked out from the door and distinctly heard the phrase ‘Look!”‘and to my astonishment, a red light, almost like a spotlight, was cast upon the wall at the very bottom of the stairs. The light had no other source, it was by itself, and I was transfixed by it.
Being a little kid, and it only being a few days from Christmas, I KNEW what this light was. IT WAS SANTA!!! How else could he get into my house to know I was being a good boy. I was so excited I began walking down the stairs to greet him, picking up my pace after the second step as it began to creep off the wall and fade into the darkness in my living room.
That’s when I heard him. A very strong, masculine voice. Different from the first. Not at all like my father’s (not to say he isn’t masculine, it was just distinctly different). It said “Stop! Right now. Go back up those stairs.”
I listened, turned around, and what happened next I am not sure I would believe if someone had told me this same story. After reaching the top of the stairs, I heard a very loud CRASH that sent me running back to my mother’s bed where I jumped straight under the covers and stayed there the whole night.
When we awoke the next morning, the poinsettia lights (little Christmas flower lights that glowed red) my mother had put on the railing down the stairs were pulled straight down to the bottom of the stairs, some broken from what seemed like a forceful tear, laying in a single pile. The dry sink in my living room had fallen from the wall. My mother could not explain it! My father was worried we had been the victims of a home invasion. My sister was crying.
There was nothing missing, nobody had broken in, there did not seem to be any reason this had happened. And then I saw it, and I kept quiet about it because I was so afraid that I could not force words out of my mouth.
There, on the edge of the wooden dry sink which had been facing up, were three indentations where the finish on the wood had been worn, almost as if in a forceful grip. Something down there had GRABBED IT AND THREW IT DOWN. That was what the bang was.
I was mortified. After that day I never heard a single voice again. I do not like to imagine what was waiting downstairs for me that night, if it was anything at all, but I can tell you that the reality was that something had physically acted upon two things in my house near the bottom of that stairwell.
After this, I had never heard another whisper again. Which is sad, because in some ways I would have liked to thank the man (masculine energy?) that had stopped me from going down those stairs. This happened when I was 7 (or 7 and a half! as I liked to say at the time).
I am 20 years old now, and because of this incident I am still afraid of the dark. ESPECIALLY shadowy stairwells.
28. He felt a ghost in his bed. I don’t remember all of the details because my dad told me this story several years ago, but here it goes. When my dad was younger and still living in Poland, he and a few friends took a trip and one night decided to stay at a bed and breakfast type place. Everything seemed normal until he suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. He told me he felt some sort of presence behind him, so he slowly turned around but there was no one there. He swears he could feel someone there on the bed with him though, along with a slight shift in pressure on the bed. It went away after a few minutes and my dad went back to sleep. The next morning he found out that a man had died in that bed about a week or so prior.
29. The window opened on its own. I was a junior in college and was living in a dorm which had a reputation for being haunted. Of course the RAs spread this around and we had a fun time scaring ourselves for the first month or so of school. The floors which had the greatest reputation for being haunted were the 2nd and 5th floors. My room was on the 5th.
I lived on the “International” floor, even though I myself was not international, so my roommate was from Tokyo. In this dorm, each floor alternated a single, a bathroom and a double, so three people would share a bathroom. This setup was called a “suite” and the person who lived in the single (or the double, if you were in the single) was your “suitemate”. My suitemate was from Cairo. Really fun ladies, it was a great year.
So I come home at about midnight after a long night of chatting online, and my roommate has the curtain shut between our halves of the room. She hears me walk in and says, “Oh, $MYNAME, I’m so glad you’re here! While I was in the bathroom, the door opened by itself!”
Now, I enjoy a mystery as much as anyone, but I like to be practical about things so naturally I think there’s a rational explanation. I walk into the bathroom. The curtain over the bathroom is drawn closed, so I peek under it. Sure enough, the window is open about an inch. I figure it must’ve been a draft.
I walk back out into the room and tell my roommate, “Well, the Windows’s open about an inch, so it probably just blew the door open.” My roommate is greatly relieved and says something to the effect of, “Whew! I’m so glad to hear that!”
Total time transpired: about 20 seconds.
I turn around and go back into the bathroom so I can take out my contacts and brush my teeth…and stop dead in my tracks. The curtain, which had previously been closed, was now open. But it wasn’t open, like someone would do to see out the window, but rolled to each side, like one would roll up a newspaper. Just as if someone had been sitting in the window.
I looked at that for about 30 seconds. Turned out the light. Walked back out. Went to bed, contacts and all.
The next morning, it took me a few minutes to unroll each curtain and flatten it out so it would lay flat again.
30. I saw a black shadow from my car. I was on a college ghost hunt with a guy name Chris Fleming. Cool dude, we did all the normal college ghost hunt stuff walking to supposedly haunted dorms and experiencing some cool stuff, but nothing crazy. The city we where in had this special place called the Ghost Trestle. It was basically a Railroad bridge in the middle of a corn field that had a dirt road underneath it. Anyways during the ghost hunt with this guy who was actually featured on Ghost Adventures, we told him about this place. He was pumped and rushed through the rest of the college ghost hunt. Him and his assistant and a few of my friends took two cars with all his equipment to this ghost trestle. When we got there a train was coming so he interviewed us on camera to tell the story about this place.
Back a long time ago there was a farm house (still there but rebuilt) and a farmer, his wife, and son escaped a fire in the house. Also on fire was the horse stables. The farmer ran in to try and rescue the horsed before they succumbed to the fire while the wife and son went to wave down a train that was passing by. The story ends with the farmer dying in the stable fire and as the wife and child were waving down the train they were struck and killed. To this day if you park your car under the bridge while a train crossed you above its suppose to open up another dimensional world to be able to communicate.
Well we show up and of course to our luck there is a train coming. We all freaked out and got pumped while the Medium Chris Fleming attempted to communicate. We were all taking pictures and began to experience weird technological failures. My camera which was my own began flashing and taking multiple pictures. same thing was occurring with our disposable camera Chris Flemings assistant had.
At one point we began to see stuff mostly out of the corner of our eyes, and Chris Attempted to communicate, but what ever spirit was there seemed more intimidated. He (Chris) believed it to be the spirit of the little boy. We would every now and then see a figure poking its head out from behind a concrete wall under the tracks. It seemed like it was playing hide and seek.
I can honestly say that I was young and thought this stuff was hoax and just fun for college kids to pretend. Until this night when we had a real professional experience the same thing we all did.
Fast forward to a year or two after this event. I came to this same place for the first time since the night we went with Chris Flemming. This time it was just me and my then GF. I parked under the bridge turned off the car and lights and took the key out of the ignition. We were joking together about how we were getting to old for this stuff. And when I looked in the rear view mirror I saw a black shadow flash by the rear window of my car follow by some noises that sounds like someone running towards my car. My heart never raced so fast to put my key into the ignition and peel out and get out of there. Whatever, it was didn’t seem like it wanted us there and I have yet to drive under or by the bridge since.
31. Lake Havasu ghost. A few years back I was camping in Lake Havasu with my brother and a few friends; my brother and I were working on building a fire while the other guys were on the boat mooring it to the shore. We had a hole we dug where we had our previous fires that trip, so my brother and got the fire going and sat down around the pit. The fire was burning for a good 10 minutes and was at a decent size before the most bizarre thing happened. The fire just went out, completely extinguished, as in no more flame. The embers were still there emitting heat, but the flame was gone. My brother and I looked at each other then back at the fire pit. A few seconds go by then the fire re-ignites to level it was at before it ‘went out.’ We are totally confused and we just start screaming for the guys to come check out what happened.
32. The time Grandma came to say goodbye. My paternal grandmother died when I was six. I lived in NY. She lived in PA. I met her maybe twice.
I was six years old, asleep in bed one night and for whatever reason I woke up and walked into my parents’ bedroom. My father had an easy chair in one corner for reading. I sat in the chair. On the opposite wall was my father’s closet. It opened, and Grandma came out and stood about six feet away.
‘I just wanted to say goodbye,’ she said, smiled, waved, and turned back and walked back into the closet, closing the door behind her. I went back to my room.
About two hours later, about 6am, the phone rings. It was a call from PA that Gramma Catherine had died in her sleep. My mother came to wake me up to tell me, and I said, “I know.”
‘What do you mean?’
‘She came to say goodbye last night.’
She made me repeat the story three times, and then told me never, ever to tell my father that story. And I never did.
33. You didn’t hear that little girl singing? This happened my senior year of college, Christmas break 2006. I worked for a professor that asked me to house/dog sit for him while he was outta town to see the bowl game that we were in. He was gone for three days and had a huge piece of land in the middle of nowhere. I invited my GF at the time. He had horses and fishing and a gator to ride around on, etc., etc.
So the first two nights went down with no incident, but the last night, his little foofy dog is having a fit. She keeps barking at the back door. At first we blow it off but decide to lock the dog inside in case of a coyote or something. After a while we start to get a little creeped out. I keep saying it’s probably an animal and we’ll be fine. My GF (not too bright) wants to go investigate to see what’s outside, so I lock the door behind her (he-he, just kidding). She goes outside and says she saw something small and grey (probably a coyote) and it ran off. So, just an animal, no worries. but by this time, we’re pretty spooked.
The dog now starts barking at the window on the other side of the house, we’re still trying to ignore it, but a little worried. We decide to get into bed…awkward silence…then I hear it…it sounds like a young girl singing a soft, eerie lullaby. I don’t say anything, hoping that my mind is playing tricks on me. My GF says, ‘Let’s get the fuck outta here.’ I say, ‘Why?’ she says, ‘You didn’t hear that little girl singing?’ ‘OK, let’s get the fuck out.’ We got the fuck out. I even called someone to talk to me while we walked out to my car. Next morning, went to clean up the house and such.
Most scared I’ve ever been. Ever.
34. ‘Get out.’ So, this happened last summer (2 summers ago now). We have an old Mercury Grand Marquis that my dad had wanted to buy for years. The owner would never sell it, even though it was just left sitting there. After he died, his daughter sold it to us for pretty cheap, because she knew how bad my dad wanted it. So, one day I had drove it to my friend’s house on a rainy day to play some smash bros. I left at 10 that night, and it had stopped raining, and I had to drive my friend home. So, this car’s radio didn’t work, and it would only be static if it was on. Well, I turned down my friend’s road, and when I turned, I heard someone say get out. I know it wasn’t my friend, because he was talking to me. So, we continued conversation and I got to his house about 5 minutes later. When we got there, I asked him if him if he heard something weird when we turned onto the road. He said he heard the exact same thing I did, and I was freaked the fuck out. This sounds like such a made-up story, but I really wish it was. Safe to say I haven’t driven that car since.
35. ‘I forgot to tell you about George.’ I worked the graveyard shift in a hospital kitchen about five years ago. Before the kitchen was renovated a few years prior, our dish room used to be part of the morgue.
While I was training, I’d frequently feel like someone was watching me, especially when I crossed into that part of the hallway. Every time I went into the dish room, something would be moved, turned over, or missing. Assuming it was my coworker, I didn’t think anything of it. About a week later, my coworker leaves, and I’m left on my own.
Every night, I would hear carts being moved around, dishes being put away, and silverware rattling. If I would leave for a minute, I’d get back and my radio would be switched to a different station. It got to the point where I was terrified to come to work every night. I called my old coworker, told her what was going on, and she very calmly said, “Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about George”. Apparently, George was a nurse/medical examiner who had a stroke and died while at work. He was in his 50’s, I was told. From then on, everything actually went quite well. I introduced myself to George, asked him to please keep it down, and as long as I said hi to him as soon as I started work, he didn’t seem to want to bother me anymore. It took us a little while to find a radio station we could agree on, but we worked harmoniously after that.
When I left the job a year later, I made sure I told the girl that replaced me.
36. Let’s sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to the ghost. We moved into a new house a few months ago. As we were in the process of purchasing the house, the renter who was living in it died unexpectedly of natural causes in his mid-40s. He died right in the middle of the living room.
Shortly after, we move into the house, and almost immediately our 2-year-old daughter starts talking about the ghost that lives in our house. Now let’s be real here—she is 2 and 2-year-olds are VERY impressionable. Halloween had recently passed, and she had this Halloween-themed picture book that she loved to read, so it’s entirely possible that all this talk of ghosts was just coming from looking through that book on a regular basis.
Still, she was always telling me that the ghost was in her playhouse in the basement, or that the ghost was on the stairs, or that the ghost was standing in the corner. She never seemed to be afraid of the ghost, and considered him to be her friend, so I wasn’t all that concerned even if there really was a ghost haunting our house. If he’s a nice and helpful ghost, it could certainly be a lot worse. I would often tell the ghost that he was welcome to stay if he wanted to, but he was also welcome to go if that would make him happier. I was about 30/70 on the ghost being real and she could see and talk to him versus the ghost being just her imagination fueled by her Halloween book.
… until one day, when we were going out to the car to go to daycare in the morning. It was still dark out and rainy. My daughter told me that the ghost was on the back deck, and then she told me that today was the ghost’s birthday and she wanted to sing him Happy Birthday. Once again, I mostly disregarded what she was saying, as she is birthday obsessed and has in the past made us sing Happy Birthday to Mickey Mouse, a bowl of fruit snacks, and the bathroom. So we sang and wished the ghost a happy birthday and went on with our lives.
Later that day, out of pure curiosity, I looked up the obituary of the man who had died in our house.
37. This demon lady literally got inches from my face. Know how when you die you see ‘the white light’ and some report the lady or whatever that guides you through?
So I’m lying in bed, wake up, heart racing, died in a dream so I woke up. Except I can’t move. My body’s frozen. I see at the foot of my bed this almost demon-like lady in a white dress walking toward me. I thought This demon lady literally got inches from my face. Then I could move and it was over.
38. The disembodied head of a woman floating above my bed at night. Lived in this dark, creepyish rental house from 4th-7th grade. I don’t know if the house was actually haunted or not, but my mom, my sister, and me always got these creepy feelings around various areas of the house (particularly the closet and bathroom in the master bedroom). Anyways, my sister who was a little bit younger than me would tell me about how she saw the disembodied head of a woman floating above my bed at night looking at me sleep. I admit, at night, I would get the eerie feeling that something I couldn’t see was watching me, but trying to be the tough 9-year-old, I brushed off what she was saying as the ramblings of a 7-year-old.
Nothing really happened for months and I even forgot what my sister said about the disembodied head, until one night I was in a particularly deep sleep when I suddenly heard the blood-curdling scream of a woman right outside my ear. At first, I thought it was my mom or sister messing with me but when I glanced across the room, I saw my sister sleeping in bed and went to my mom’s room and saw her sleeping as well and there was no other woman in the house that could have possibly done it.
39. I’ll never forget the sound of that lock turning by itself. This is a brief account of an experience I had almost a year ago in the warehouse where I work alone. No one I’ve told has believed me, but perhaps you all will.
I work in a warehouse that my father purchased. He bought it for 25% of its cost from a farmer who seemed very excited to be rid of it. It is in the middle of Mennonite country, with no neighbors for a half-mile around. Look out the window…you see cornfields and scraggly trees. Cell service? Forget about it. I work here alone, painting and preparing the front office portion for eventual functionality. To get to the front office, you must go through a hallway from the main warehouse, into a secondary office, and then through another door into the front.
I frequently hear bumps and thuds and occasionally will go into the warehouse and feel air movement, but I’ve always attributed it to drafts and animal life in the roof. The only thing that has ever made me uneasy about the building is the fact that all of the door locks are reversed. Whoever installed those locks didn’t intend to keep people out, they intended to keep something in.
I was in the front office when I began to hear the thudding. I ignored it and continued to apply masking tape to the door I was working on. But this time, it was accompanied by a screeching sound. Not loud, but audible. I was freaked out, but convinced myself that it was just a pissed off raccoon or squirrel that had found its way inside.
I continued working, until I heard the slam. The door to the secondary office had been open; it sounded like it had violently slammed shut. I peaked around the corner and saw that I was right… the secondary door was now closed. I tried to logic it through in my head that a strong draft had sucked it closed, although I knew there was no such draft. The thudding began again. Close this time. I’ve never been able to put a proximity on it, but now it sounded like it was right on the other side of the door. I froze, unsure of what was happening. My eyes locked on the door handle, which began to turn. The door disengaged its latch and slowly swung open. Wider…wider…nothing there. Nothing visible, no air movement, just quiet. So quiet. A quiet that seemed to overwhelm me with its presence; a quiet so thick I couldn’t breathe. The quiet was shattered when the screech came again. This time, it was clearly human. Pained, angered, and emanating from the main warehouse. The door slammed. That entirely broke my frozen fearful state… I ran.
I got into my car and drove until I was in cell range to call my father. He didn’t believe anything about the doors closing, but agreed that the building had something weird about it. He told me he’d be right out. Fast forward half an hour. My dad and I met up and drove back to the warehouse. I showed him the door that sl